Outbound mail via smarthost

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

jtsmith21

Outbound mail via smarthost

Post by jtsmith21 »

Port 25 is blocked incoming and outgoing. I use CDONTS on a lot of web pages so I have the IIS Default virtual SMTP setup to send them. I changed the port to 2525 and set the smarthost as smtpauth.rollernet.us. I don't see anywhere that I can specify a password for this so it can login to the outbound rollernet server.

Is there a way to set it up to login? If there isn't...would it be possible to authorize strictly by IP address?
jtsmith21

Post by jtsmith21 »

Okay...got this problem fixed (use the outbound security tab) but now I have another dilemna....

My web server has multiple domains on it. I use CDONTS on multile sites and would like the return address to be postmaster@eachsite.com

The problem is that CDONTS uses only the default SMTP server in IIS. If I set it up to use one account at roller net for outbound (mysite.com as example), and the E-mail is sent via CDONTS from one of the other sites it gets rejected by rollernet with the error that it is not owned by postmaster@mysite.com

Can you add a feature that will allow outbound relay to accept E-mail from multiple domains using one unified login?

Thanks,
Jason Smith
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

I'll look in to it; it shouldn't be that much of an issue.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
jtsmith21

Update?

Post by jtsmith21 »

Any idea when this feature may be available?
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

I'll work on it today. It will be a third mode that will allow messages to be submitted from a single IP address, as long as the domain name of the sender address is in your account's mail config and has MX records for us.

We use the MX records as a verification that you really are the owner of the domain, since it's unlikely that someone trying to abuse the service has access to the DNS for a given domain name as well.
Roller Network LLC
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

This feature is now available; a new account type "Mail Server Account" has been added.
Roller Network LLC
intellimouse

Post by intellimouse »

After setting up the smart host in MS Exchange and adjusting the port to 2525 my outgoing mails remain in a queued state. It is getting really frustrating not able to send mail. Receiving mail is not a problem. Does anyone have any experience with outgoing mails over exchange server.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Could the smarthost name be incorrect? It should be "smtpauth.rollernet.us".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251951/en-us

Also, the mailX.rollernet.us servers will not accept submissions for outbound mail.
Roller Network LLC
intellimouse

Post by intellimouse »

I have it working now. It was an login problem in Exchange. Everything is working perfectly.
Thanks for your reply