Unable to validate recipient address, in reply to RCPT TO

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

guus

Unable to validate recipient address, in reply to RCPT TO

Post by guus »

Hello,

I've configured SMTP redirection (also with secondary MX). Mail forwarding works for all the domains configured, except in some cases I get the error: Unable to validate recipient address, try again later (in reply to RCPT TO command). This is when I check my inbound mail log for that account. The strange thing is that it also occurs when I'm sending from my own mail address. One time, the mail passes without any problems, the other time I see this error in the inbound mail log. I'm using all settings as the default (no white/greylist). The default user table is set to "default allow". The client validity checks and the address mapping are both set to disabled. This occurs for several domains I've configured with the smtp redirection.

Because it not only occurs one mail servers that are known as "spam" servers, this seems very strange to me. My local mail server also performs spam checks, so there's no need to perform a rcpt to check. I'm not sure if this can be switched of for smtp redirection.

Hope someone can help me with this. regards.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

There's an additional setting available under "Default Allow" mode called "Disable Inline Recipient Verification". If this is set to "No", then the system will perform a RCPT TO callout to validate the recipient address. If this check fails, then you'll see the error message you're indicating.

If your mail server will accept all recipients, then change "Disable Inline Recipient Verification" to "Yes". Otherwise, you will need to configure a valid user table (default deny mode) to prevent out system from accepting messages for invalid users.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
guus

Post by guus »

thanks for the hint. I've changed the setting.
Still strange that with the same mail host it sometimes fails and sometimes passes.

regards,
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

If the callout failed, the system remembers that for 15 minutes to prevent delays in querieng unresponsive servers. After 15 minutes, it does a fresh query.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC