URL Forwarding

New ideas and constructive comments go here.

Moderator: Moderators

dstutz

URL Forwarding

Post by dstutz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:05 am

I'm currently using zoneedit for primary dns solely because they have URL forwarding and I need to redirect a url. Sometime last night their servers started acting up and my secondary DNS here was disabled due to not being able to refresh the zone before it expired. It's taken a few hours of playing around and I finally got the zone back into one of rollernet's servers and I can send mail again as I was getting "Client host rejected: No resolvable MX records for <domain>" . I would absolutely LOVE to just use rollernet for all of my services, but I need this one stupid thing since my home ISP blocks port 80 (sorry, I don't see the need to pay for a business connection to host some pictures/mail for family).

So is this something you guys would entertain? I do realize it's not a true "dns" service and requires some sort of application server.

Thanks,
Dave

dstutz

Re: URL Forwarding

Post by dstutz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:28 am

I'd still love to have this feature here at rollernet, but I now see my biggest issue was having pretty small times in my SOA record (expire in 1 day!?!?) so rollernet expired out the valid data it had rather than working through the zoneedit outage/flaky period.

Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:09 am

Well, I had written up a nice lengthy reply, but then I closed the browser window and deleted it. Basically yes, I am working on a simple URL rewriting function.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC

dstutz

Post by dstutz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:21 am

Cool. Well, I will be eagerly awaiting the implementation of that feature then. As to losing the long reply, Isn't that an internet right of passage?