Primary DNS Create/Update

New ideas and constructive comments go here.

Moderator: Moderators

cbevan

Primary DNS Create/Update

Post by cbevan »

This may be available and I just don't know how to do it. DNS is not my forte and I haven't taken the time to study the deeper mechanisms of it. But if I have 10 domains with 2 entries (.xxx and www..xxx) it would be really nice to be able to update the IP Address record for all of them at once or just specific record types. Not very clear I know, let me try and explain.

Say I want to change all of the www..xxx records from IP 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2. I would be able to assign the domain (zone?) to a group and apply a template with my default IP Addresses and records. When I change the values in the template for the group, each record would be updated with the new information. If I add a new domain, I can tell it to use "Template A" for it, and the new domain would have each default entry in "Template A" created for it with the templates values (i.e. A, CName, www.*, ftp.* etc).

Implementation could either be on the Admin Site or as a possibly faster and easier fix, implement features in the API to create and update primary DNS records.

If this is already available and I am just missing it or there is some way to accomplish this same thing using various DNS record types, please let me know.

Thanks!
Seth
Site Admin

Re: Primary DNS Create/Update

Post by Seth »

I'll have to think about the actual implementation, but a template system for adding/changing zones could be useful.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
user00265

Re: Primary DNS Create/Update

Post by user00265 »

I personally do this in BIND, by having a single zone file for all domains in question, and the zone refers to the parent as @, so BIND queries respond properly and any changes to the zone file, you just gotta issue reload for each domain and everything is the same on all.
Elisamuel Resto
Simply Sam, LLC