Copy to 'Sent' server side

New ideas and constructive comments go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Seth
Site Admin

Re: Copy to 'Sent' server side

Post by Seth »

Black20VT wrote:Ok, thanks Seth for confirming how it all works.

So just to get it right in my head, using a client to copy to 'smtpauth' and the 'sent' folder only counts for one lot of bandwidth against allowance, that's on the smtpauth part. Then the copy to sent folder doesn't use bandwidth, as that's an imap transaction, which doesn't go against allowance?

Whereas mirroring to the sent folder server side counts for 2 lots of bandwidth. 1 to the smtpauth and a second, the server side copy?

I'm just trying get it 100% clear in my head, as to prevent going over my allowances.

Thanks again.
Yep, that's correct.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

Seth wrote:
Black20VT wrote:Ok, thanks Seth for confirming how it all works.

So just to get it right in my head, using a client to copy to 'smtpauth' and the 'sent' folder only counts for one lot of bandwidth against allowance, that's on the smtpauth part. Then the copy to sent folder doesn't use bandwidth, as that's an imap transaction, which doesn't go against allowance?

Whereas mirroring to the sent folder server side counts for 2 lots of bandwidth. 1 to the smtpauth and a second, the server side copy?

I'm just trying get it 100% clear in my head, as to prevent going over my allowances.

Thanks again.
Yep, that's correct.
Thanks Seth :wink:
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

Hi Seth,

Sorry, another quick question.

When using webmail, the message is duplicated in 'Sent Items'. Is there a way of the system identifying the source to prevent duplication? It's just I know some users send email from different sources (webmail, iPods, desktop email clients), so one solution doesn't fit all.

Any ideas of how to work around this?

Thanks.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Black20VT wrote:Hi Seth,

Sorry, another quick question.

When using webmail, the message is duplicated in 'Sent Items'. Is there a way of the system identifying the source to prevent duplication? It's just I know some users send email from different sources (webmail, iPods, desktop email clients), so one solution doesn't fit all.

Any ideas of how to work around this?

Thanks.
I didn't check to see if either webmail client can turn off its copy to sent action; it appears they can't. You'd need to turn off the "copy to sent" option on the clients. It's usually a default behavior with an IMAP client to save to a "sent" folder (except Outlook which didn't even have this capability until the current version). There is no method to detect client types in an SMTP transaction.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Just to follow up on my own reply, it's not impossible to implement some kind of de-duplication logic to see if a message with an identical id is already in the folder. The catch is that IMAP clients save their copy to sent after it's been submitted via SMTP, so anything I could do to scan the designated "sent" folder for duplicates would come up negative since the client hasn't started its IMAP transaction to save the duplicate yet.
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

Thanks for the responses.

I'm happy disabling the copy carried out client side, as all of them are using Thunderbird, so it's just a check in a box, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know how iPods, iPhones do it, but if webmail can be de-duped, that'll be perfect.

Hmm, I wonder have the Apple variants copy them to the respective sent folder?

Thanks.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Black20VT wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I'm happy disabling the copy carried out client side, as all of them are using Thunderbird, so it's just a check in a box, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know how iPods, iPhones do it, but if webmail can be de-duped, that'll be perfect.

Hmm, I wonder have the Apple variants copy them to the respective sent folder?

Thanks.
Everyone does it the same way, via IMAP. It's the only way. Whether or not it can be turned off and at what level varies between clients. On my winmo phone I can only turn it on or off for all accounts, not individually.

Webmail will take a while because I can't just ignore its IP since mirrors may be applied to unrelated mail boxes as well.
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

Hi Seth,
Seth wrote:Everyone does it the same way, via IMAP. It's the only way. Whether or not it can be turned off and at what level varies between clients. On my winmo phone I can only turn it on or off for all accounts, not individually.

Webmail will take a while because I can't just ignore its IP since mirrors may be applied to unrelated mail boxes as well.
Indeed, it does appear to be complicated.

If it were possible to disable the copying via webmail and other 'clients', then it 'should' be more straightforward, however, as this can't be done, it make's it more difficult.

Is there something that can be run server side every xx minutes to scan for duplicates in the same folder? Not ideal, but thinking out loud :D

So am I correct in thinking this is still something on the 'to-do' list?

For the time being, I'll enable it strategically on accounts where they generally use a single sending source to prevent duplicates.

Thanks.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

I have a new HTC EVO (Android 2.1) phone myself, and I'm finding there is no solution to the duplication problem. There's nothing unique in the headers to add an exception on, and nothing in the phone to turn off copying to sent. (Or I haven't found that setting yet since I've only had it since Monday.)
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

Thanks for the update Seth. Nice choice in phone by the way! That's not available here in Europe, but I've recently got myself the Nexus One, also running Android 2.1 and it's great. AppBrain is a great site just incase you've not come across it yet :wink:

Just out of interest, are you using the built in email client, or an alternative, such as K-9?

Back on topic, I've also got a Fastmail account which carries out server side copying. Perhaps I need to have a play with that and see if they duplicate when using a phone, as I know they don't when using a client or web interface.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

I've just been using the built in client so far, I'll have to download K-9 and take a look at it.