New Feature Survey

New ideas and constructive comments go here.

Moderator: Moderators

New Features

Mail Hosting (POP3/IMAP/Webmail)
47%
Primary DNS Service
31%
Online Mail Archive (read-only)
3%
Virtual Dedicated Servers (i.e. Xen)
16%
Dedicated Servers (remote KVM and BIOS access)
3%

Total votes: 32

RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

New Feature Survey

Post by RollerNetSupport »

We're currently working on several major new services, but we'd like to know how popular they'd be so we can prioritize their release. Please take a moment and let us know what's important to you. Questions and comments are also welcome.

- Mail Hosting (POP3/IMAP/Webmail)
Traditional hosted mail. While our service currently requires you to operate your own mail server, this service would allow us to host mail for your domain. Mail hosting could also be used for emergency access to your queued mail for disaster recovery purposes and mail continuity when your mail server is down for an extended period of time.

- Primary DNS Service
Primary DNS would allow you to create and maintain primary zone files through the account manager for your DNS.

- Online Mail Archive (read-only)
A mail archive would store a read-only encrypted copy of all messages. Encryption would be available as password or public/private key. Mail archiving is useful for backup purposes or for policy reasons.

- Virtual Dedicated Servers (i.e. Xen)
Virtual servers are similar to dedicated servers, except that multiple virtual servers are hosted on a single physical server. We would most likely use Xen hosted on Debian. Virtual servers are idea for light tasks (small websites, personal mail servers, etc.) that do not need high performance hardware. (This is not hosting; you are responsible for maintaining the operating system of your virtual server.)

- Dedicated Servers (remote KVM and BIOS access)
Dedicated servers allow full use of the hardware, including the boot process. Dedicated hardware is ideal for applications when full access to the server's memory and CPU are needed. We maintain the hardware and network, such as replacing failed drives and power supplies, while you control everything else. (This is not hosting; you are responsible for maintaining the operating system of your dedicated server.)

All services come with real-time control and access through our account control center. Dedicated servers (virtual and physical) include bandwidth graphs and optional firewalling free of charge.
Last edited by RollerNetSupport on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
siff

Post by siff »

My vote goes to:

Mail Hosting (POP3/IMAP/Webmail)
Primary DNS Service

Thanks for good services! :D

Siff
kthomas

Post by kthomas »

I think mail hosting and primary DNS service should be preferred, since in my opinion it
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

We're definitely not going to get in to anything like generic web hosting; that kind of stuff takes too much time for minimal return. We are going to be adding a lot more little mail config options, mostly from requests, but there's too many of those to list off the top of my head.
Last edited by RollerNetSupport on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roller Network LLC
drdave

I agree with kthomas

Post by drdave »

I agree with kthomas that it would be best for you to concentrate on email and DNS rather than machine or virtual machine hosting. Even higher on my list than any of those is to do flexible forwarding of any number of specific email addresses in a domain to other addresses (for example like zoneedit.com), and next is SpamAssassin. I think the combination of those two would make your current wonderful email services a lot more attractive to the non-techy masses who don't run their own servers. I don't think most people need email hosting because they already get that from their ISPs.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

A more advanced address mapping system is still on the list; I haven't forgotten. SpamAssassin is in the pipe as well. We won't concentrate on dedicated servers if there's little or no interest.
Roller Network LLC
sgrayban

Post by sgrayban »

I would also be interested in the Online Mail Archive.

That would be great thing for our company.
bjd

Post by bjd »

First, many thanks for a great service 8)

my vote goes to:
- mail hosting (esp. IMAP)
- primary dns
mikrub

Post by mikrub »

I also vote for:

1) Primary DNS Service
2) Mail Hosting (POP3/IMAP/Webmail)

Thank you guys!
netreading

Post by netreading »

I voted for VPS (xen)'s because then I could run primary and secondary DNS on my own virtual server. I already have my own primary DNS in the UK, and would like greater control with a VPS in the US for redundancy (secondary DNS via this site is good and reliable, but I do like to use my own panel to do it).
elkif

Post by elkif »

• mail archive
    Primary DNS (dynamic?)
activeservice

Post by activeservice »

I've voted for VS, as I travel frequently (increasingly, the joys of retirement :) ), and rely on accessing my own server via IMAP for email. Although it's pretty reliable, if it goes down and fails to restart properly I'm stuck! Being able to put my whole IMAP server on an always-available (hopefully!) VS would solve that. I could also host DNS, etc ...

As second choice, I'd go for a mail server facility as then I'd at least be able to access current email if my own server is down.

Keep up the great service!
Rick Jones
ot

Post by ot »

hi friends
congratulations for rollernet
my preferences are webmail and virtual server