Mail log information

New ideas and constructive comments go here.

Moderator: Moderators

SAK917

Mail log information

Post by SAK917 »

First, thank you for the Roller Network. It has been a very robust and feature-rich service that we happily donated to back in the days of "donations optional" and will gladly continue to do so, especially with all the enhancements you have made in the past year or so.

My suggestion has to do with the mail logs. While extremely useful as they are, would it be possible to add some information to the outgoing log entries regarding the source of the email such as originating IP and sender? Or possibly include a hyperlink to the corresponding incoming log entry since the incoming log entry has this information? The reason I ask is it would be helpful for troubleshooting errors and rejected emails and right now I have to scan the outgoing log (or the new bounced mail log, also much appreciated) for bounces / errors and then bring up the incoming mail log and try to correlate between the times in the two logs to figure out where the mail that bounced came from.

Or perhaps I am just making things harder than they need to be... any thoughts / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Steve
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

We're working on tying the "Instance ID" with a queue number. The basic problem is that while the instance ID's are unique, queue numbers are not necessarily unique, and all we can get out of the logs for message deliveries is a queue number. (http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/ ... /1865.html)

We are working on making it easier to trace a particular message and tie the incoming/outgoing logs together, but it's harder than it seems once you add messages that can be logged by the filter.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
SAK917

Thanks...

Post by SAK917 »

Thank you for looking into this, not a huge priority... just a "nice to have if possible" suggestion and I appreciate your quick response.