Forward to forward?

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

psfales

Forward to forward?

Post by psfales »

I'm trying to recreated a configuration I had with a different email provider, but I'm running into problems.

I want to have a dozen or so email addresses for my wife that are all just aliases that forward to her real account (e.g. gmail). So, I'm trying to do this (the idea is that if we ever want to the mail to go to different place, we only have to make one change to "common"):

mail1@mydomain.org -> common@mydomain.org
mail2@mydomain.org -> common@mydomiain.org
mail3@mydomain.org -> comomn@mydomain.c
common@mydomain.org -> realaddress@gmail.com

Mail to "common" goes through, but mail to "mail1", etc. does not. The logs even imply that it's being delivered, but the gmail account never sees it.
Is this "forward to forward" supposed to work? If not, is there another way to accomplish this goal?
psfales

Re: Forward to forward?

Post by psfales »

For the record, here's what I got from tech support:

It can work, but the system handles them as individual forwarders that loop through the forwarding pool servers and the external MX servers twice, it won't internally shortcut as mail1@mydomain.org -> realaddress@gmail.com. The forwarding pool servers make their deliver decisions based on MX records from DNS - not the control center settings - so if the MX record doesn't point back to us (or is cached) the first forward won't come back to us to be handled by the second forward.