Outbound Mail problem: Sender address rejected: unverified

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

darrenings

Outbound Mail problem: Sender address rejected: unverified

Post by darrenings »

Not sure what I've done wrong as this works fine with my other domains.

Just added new mail domain thechildrensbeddingstore.co.uk. Added Outbound mail account @thechildrensbeddingstore.co.uk

Now to test, I configure Thunderbird and can access the inbox and can see email coming in fine. Now I try to send myself or others test email from my local Thunderbird account and I get this:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 4.1.7 <sarah@thechildrensbeddingstore.co.uk>: Sender address rejected: unverified address: connect to thechildrensbeddingstore.co.uk[94.136.40.82]:25: Connection timed out. Please check the message recipient me@darren-ings.com and try again.

But I am using "Any address account" for outbound mail settings. Thunderbird is configured to use username "@thechildrensbeddingstore.co.uk" for smtpauth.rollernet.us, but doesn't seem to be matching the from address domain correctly. Have I done something wrong or missed a config item somewhere?

Thanks
Darren
Seth
Site Admin

Re: Outbound Mail problem: Sender address rejected: unverifi

Post by Seth »

It's one of the submission restrictions:

https://acc.rollernet.us/help/mail/outb ... strictions

The MAIL FROM verification failed as indicated in the error message; the server at 94.136.40.82 could not be contacted.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
darrenings

Post by darrenings »

Thanks Seth. So given I want rollernet to handle my email, what should I set the A record for the domain to please? My other domains seem to use 208.79.241.68 - is that OK?

Thanks
Darren
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Did the domain have MX records when the attempt failed? If it didn't, the system would have used the A record, otherwise it will use the MX records first. Looking at the DNS now I see MX records for our incoming servers so it should be fine as is.

The IP address 208.79.241.68 is just a generic domain parking page.
darrenings

Post by darrenings »

Yes the domain has always had the MX records pointing at the rollernet servers. Not sure why it's using the A record here.

Anyway. I've change the A record to 208.79.241.68 because the default was the one at 123-reg which wasn't ping'able. Waiting for DNS to update and I hope that will work.
Do you think that is what I need to do to fix this then? If not, what else do I need to fix?

Thanks
Darren
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

The original error I see in the logs at 09:37 UTC-8 was "No resolvable MX records". If MX records were added, it was likely cached without them and thus the IP-related error. The sender address validation check is one of those you have to get right on the first try otherwise things end up in caches and changes made to fix the error may or may not have any effect for several hours.

In any case, the most recent message I see indicates our MX records as currently configured and it should be fine.
darrenings

Post by darrenings »

Thanks Seth. This morning, all works as expected.
Thanks for your help again.

Regards
Darren