Logging lag?

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

mediaman

Logging lag?

Post by mediaman »

Hi,

I was recently searching through the incoming connections or one of my domains for a customer. A few days ago there were NO entries for a particular email address in the FROM field. I tried partial domain matches, and user matches with no success... On the strength of this I told them there were no connections made for us to have refused.

They came back today and put me in touch with one of their customer's server tech's who went through one of the transactions with me... I went back into the logs for the same day I was searching last week, and now there are hundreds of messages that match for that email address on that day...

It's as though the data in the logs was not fully populated until a few days later?

This is confusing as the logs appear to have data in for today, but now I am unsure whether to rely on them as being complete nutil a few days later... Can someone clarify what the score is?

Thanks

Steve
Seth
Site Admin

Re: Logging lag?

Post by Seth »

I answered this by email, but I figured the response would be worthwhile to post here for others.

The ACC logs aren't instant so there is some lag, but it should only be on the order of several minutes (or hours if it's playing catch up after the monthly maintenance run), not days. The search function relies on the MySQL fulltext search engine, which can be "stupid" at times. I'm pretty confident the data was actually there (you can verify by downloading the full CSV and searching that locally) but that the online search was just not picking it up for some reason. I may try some further tweaking of the result threshold settings.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC