How can I get my mail to go back?

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

SeBsZ2

How can I get my mail to go back?

Post by SeBsZ2 »

Hello,

First of all, I am new here so I am sorry if this has been asked before. Let me explain the scenario.

A couple of days ago, I began moving my servers to another location. I signed up at rollernet, and modified my domain names MX records to point at the 2 rollernet servers.

If I log in at rollernet, and view the mail log, I can see lots of mail that has been captured.

Now the question. I successfully moved my servers and they are up and running (they are running linux). How can I get all the mail stored on rollernet to be sent back to my servers? Right now my servers are functioning correctly and I can send emails and it all works fine, but the mail captured during the move is just sitting on rollernet. I want it back, please?

Who can tell me how to do this? Thank you,

SeBsZ
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

If the servers are online 24/7, it will eventually be delivered automatically. If you need to release the queue sooner, you will need to issue an ETRN command to the mail servers or use the queue release function in the account manager.

If the mail is still not being delivered, then the DNS entries were probably cached for the old IP addresses. This can happen when the TTL is not lowered prior to an address change. In this case, you will have to wait for the entries to expire from the cache before mail can be delivered. This assumes, of course, that you changed the IP addresses of the servers.

Should that not be the case (the IP's are the same), then you will need to issue an ETRN or use the account manager to release the queue. More information on ETRN can be found at http://acc.rollernet.us/faq.php
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
SeBsZ2

Post by SeBsZ2 »

First of all, the IP addresses of my servers are the same. Secondly, I have waited over a day, shouldn't it have released my emails by itself then?

How can I manually release the queue, by clicking flush?

Thanks
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Unless something else is deferring the messages, then yes, they should have been delivered. If you'd like I can check the logs; you can email me the domain name you want to check or post it here.

To flush the queues in the resource access section (http://acc.rollernet.us/?action=access) of the account manager, check the domains you want and click the "Flush Selected Domains" button.
Roller Network LLC
SeBsZ2

Post by SeBsZ2 »

Hello,

I rather not click 'flush' because that sounds like sending all my emails down the drain and I'd rather not do that...

So yes, if you could take a look at what is wrong... My domain is maltastart.com and sebsz.com . Also mail.maltastart.com and mail.sebsz.com. Please let me know what happened,

SeBsZ
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Your nameservers aren't responding:

Code: Select all

$ dig maltastart.com mx

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> maltastart.com mx
;; global options:  printcmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
If that's just a temporary problem, then the mail will be automatically delivered whenever the problem is fixed.
Roller Network LLC
SeBsZ2

Post by SeBsZ2 »

That is strange,

when I run dig maltastart.com mx, I get a nice list:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.0 <<>> maltastart.com mx
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 40544
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;maltastart.com.                        IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
maltastart.com.         3600    IN      MX      10 mail.maltastart.com.
maltastart.com.         3600    IN      MX      20 mail.rollernet.us.
maltastart.com.         3600    IN      MX      20 mail2.rollernet.us.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
maltastart.com.         3289    IN      NS      ns2.domaindiscover.com.
maltastart.com.         3289    IN      NS      ns1.domaindiscover.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mail.maltastart.com.    3289    IN      A       213.165.180.203
ns1.domaindiscover.com. 13384   IN      A       216.104.162.3
ns2.domaindiscover.com. 13384   IN      A       216.104.163.3

;; Query time: 217 msec
;; SERVER: 212.56.128.132#53(212.56.128.132)
;; WHEN: Fri Mar 25 10:36:36 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 207
Why wouldn't it work for you? Can you access www.maltastart.com?

SeBsZ
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

It works now, and I'm getting the same thing as you from dig. No idea what the actual problem was, but it seems to have been some temporary DNS problem. Previously, this was the error in the mail logs:

Mar 24 06:41:15 shiny postfix/smtp[16734]: A5A21785635: to=<info@maltastart.com>, relay=none, delay=20180, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=maltastart.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)
Let me know if it still isn't delivering mail.
Roller Network LLC
SeBsZ2

Post by SeBsZ2 »

Great!

All mail just sippled in :)

Thank you for your help,

SeBsZ
SeBsZ2

Post by SeBsZ2 »

EDIT: hmm, when I check the roller network mail logs I still see a lot of emails... :s confusing

SeBsZ
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

The mail log does not indicate what was sent to your mail server, only what was received and how the filters acted before the message was queued. If a message was accepted as "OK" by us, but rejected by your mail server for some reason, it will appear lost. It also logs extra information in some cases. If the queues are empty, then all messages have been relayed to you.

I'm working on adding a log option that shows mail sent to you and how your mail server responded.
Roller Network LLC
SeBsZ2

Post by SeBsZ2 »

I've waited many days now,

all mail is still at rollernet, and my mail servers are functioning just fine... any updates?

SeBsZ
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

96A55786DCD    42568 Sat Mar 26 06:21:46  webmaster@winmxitalia.it
         (connect to mail.maltastart.com[213.165.180.203]: Connection refused)
                                         seb@maltastart.com
213.165.180.203 is rejecting connections.
Roller Network LLC
SeBsZ2

Post by SeBsZ2 »

Why is it rejecting connections? What port are you connecting on?

I am in another country now and I can successfully telnet mail.maltastart.com on port 25 and port 110. If you are using a different port or protocol, that is why it doesn't work. Please let me know soon,

thank you,

SeBsZ
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

We don't use anything special or different; just normal SMTP on port 25 unless specified otherwise in the account manager. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing why the server is rejecting a connection. In the past when I've encountered this with other accounts, it's usually due to filtering software that blocks connections from our mail servers. Beyond that, it's out of my control.
Roller Network LLC