Addressing folders in mailbox domains

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

sebiklamar

Addressing folders in mailbox domains

Post by sebiklamar »

Hello Rollernet folks,

it's me again with a second issue respective feature request: (How) is it possible to address a specific folder in a mailbox domain? In my local Postfix+Cyrus setup I'm specifying the (sub)folder after the address extension + with . or / separating the folders (depending on separator config in Cyrus), e.g. <user+root/sub/subsubfolder@example.com>. I tried this (simple user+folder@domain) within a rollernet mailbox domain and received a 554 error "User unknown in valid users table".

Does Dovecot use another address extension than + or does it not support direct addressing of folders (so, using Sieve as an alternative might be necessary)?

Thank you in advance -- Sebastian
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

There's nothing I'm aware of preventing "user+ext@domain" from working. I use it quite often myself to tag various things. The rollermail.* domains are configured to use + as the address extension only. We also support - and . for extensions but there's no way to change it per-address, only per-domain.

Direct addressing of folders is always an add-on, configuration tweak, or unique function of the mail server. In our case, you could use the sieve "subaddress" extension to create rules.

http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/rfc5233/

We can't do it globally (although it is technically possible with Dovecot by passing the extension as separated out by Postfix to the "deliver" LDA) because it's not a feature everyone wants. If there's enough interest we can spend the time to develop a way to turn on direct folder addressing individually so you don't have to mess with sieve just to do folder addressing.

You could duplicate the function within Sieve by using the "variables" extension, but we're still on the 1.1.x tree. Until the move is done at the end of the month, we're in a "no major changes" freeze and upgrading Dovecot to 1.2.x (which has a new sieve plugin that does support variables) could introduce some kind of problem we just don't want to deal with on top of trying to physically move everything.

Does that sort of answer your question?
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

I just created account "test+ext@rollermail.net" myself and it was bounced. It's been years since I've looked at the rollermail.* settings, perhaps it isn't set to + as I figured it should be. I'll have to look in to that as it's never come up before.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC