non-hosted mail and logs

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

cbrace

non-hosted mail and logs

Post by cbrace »

Hi,

I use rollernet mostly for sending mail, ie, I configure Thunderbird to use smtpauth.rollernet.us for delivery.

(I have my own postfix server for incoming mail; because my server is connected via a home DSL line, it frequently gets blocked for outgoing mail.)

When I use rollernet for hosting my domain (as I do when I am on travelling), logging works pretty much as I would expect (very clean interface BTW).

However, when I am only using it to send mail (ie, non-hosted), I don't see my outgoing mail traffic logged. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Colin
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

The outbound (auth) logs are not as comprehensive as the incoming mail logs, unfortunately. We do plan to give them an overhaul after we're finished with the big move. The basic issue is that we need to move away from domain-based logging for auth and use the auth names instead. Domain based is fine for incoming, but doesn't work too well with auth after we relaxed a lot of the original submission rules over the years.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
cbrace

Post by cbrace »

Thanks for the explanation. It would be useful to have better outgoing logging, but this isn't a high priority for me.

Good luck with the move, and thanks as always for the great service.

Colin
Seth
Site Admin

Re: non-hosted mail and logs

Post by Seth »

An updated version of the outbound (auth) logs has been released that corrects many of its previous deficiencies:

http://www.rollernet.us/wordpress/2010/ ... auth-logs/
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC