Sieve errors resulting in lost email

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

darrenings

Sieve errors resulting in lost email

Post by darrenings »

Sieve does seem powerful, but I've realised that because of an error in my Sieve script I have lost email. I'm also concerned that no errors were shown in any of the logs.

I had a filter going to a folder "lists.ancestry" but in fact the folder was called "lists.Ancestry". I realised after a month or so I was not receiving any email into this box. My mistake was the upper-case A!

Can we get sieve logging? If not, is there anyway to validate my sieve script before it gets used?

Thanks
Darren
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

If a folder doesn't exist it will auto-create it the first time it's used. However, it won't auto-subscribe to folders it creates; the net result is mail delivered to a hidden folder. You can have folders "ancestry" and "Ancestry" exist simultaneously because it's case-sensitive. Check the IMAP folder subscriptions in your mail client, you should see the missing folder.

Sieve scripts are validated for syntax as they are saved. If there were an error, it would throw an error and what line number it thinks the error is on. As far as logging, sure, we can explore adding logs generated by the IMAP/POP3 mail boxes.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
darrenings

Post by darrenings »

Ah! Thanks - I've found the newly created folder in subscriptions so I haven't lost the email. Thanks for this tip!

Thanks again

Darren