Zone Listing Information

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

sirtech

Zone Listing Information

Post by sirtech »

Hi,

I've only recently signed up with Rollernet for the purpose of primary DNS. I have several domains that I have collected over the years and wish to shift into my Rollernet account for DNS control. I currently only have 1 domain in my Rollernet account. One aspect of using an external DNS provider that has always been difficult to get around, is how to export all of my DNS information for my personal backup. That is, to export all zones and all records within those zones.

I have read in the help sections that Rollernet does not support zone transfers on their authoritive servers, so that method is out. I have also read that the Account Manager API does not seem to provide for any method of retrieving / listing information about the zones / records held within an account. This is not for the purpose of running putting the records into another DNS server, it is mainly for backup purposes and thus the only requirement on an export format would be that I can manipulate the information somehow.

Does anyone know if there is any automated way of obtaining complete DNS zone information from ones own account using Rollernet?

Cheers,

James
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

If you just want the data for backup purposes, we can quickly add an option that will export everything in a simple CVS format. Primary DNS is already stored in a database (PowerDNS reads databases directly) so it's trivial to get the data back out.

The only reason we don't allow zone transfers for Primary DNS is because PowerDNS doesn't have per-zone AXFR settings.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
sirtech

Post by sirtech »

Yes, CSV would be great (I assume CVS was a typo).

I'm not sure if you're talking about adding it to the Rollernet API or just the web control panel. Ideally, both would be great, but I guess that depends on how your API is linked in to your web control panel application. Given a choice, the API would be more useful to me personally, as it eases automation on my end (login code becomes simpler with the API key). Of course, having any option is infinitely better than none, so I'll be quite happy with whichever implementation route Rollernet would choose.

Cheers,

James
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Yeah, we mean CSV. We can add it to both the API and the web front end. Adding hooks to the API has really been more of an "on request" thing because the interest level isn't that high for it.

We'll try to have it done next week.
Roller Network LLC
sirtech

Post by sirtech »

Excellent, thanks, I appreciate the support.

James
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

We just added a very quick raw output mode to Primary DNS until we can spend some more time on it. There's a link at the bottom of the zone list that says "Show Raw Data (CSV)". It's probably also useful to people who want to see how records are being served up.
Roller Network LLC
sirtech

Post by sirtech »

That's great, that's all I needed. The only other other request is to tie it to the API.