Hosting Subdomains on Different Reseller Accounts?

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

redr

Hosting Subdomains on Different Reseller Accounts?

Post by redr »

Just wondering, would the following set-up work: I have a couple of reseller hosting accounts on two different hosts (and planning to add another one early next year) primarily used for my my personal projects. I know that in cPanel, one can easily add new subdomain-based accounts (e.g. sudomain1.domain.com) as long as domain.com "resides" on the same reseller account (may it be fully hosted or just an addon domain).

However, I am planning to distribute these subdomain accounts on my other reseller account. So let's say I have reseller account A from host A and reseller account B from host B; I want to be able to create a new account, sudomain1.domain.com, in A and another account, subdomain2.domain.com, in B. I was thinking of hosting domain.com's DNS here at Roller Network.

My question is, would this set-up work? The only thing I am seeing that needs to be done is to add a zone entry to domain.com (i.e. subdomain1 14400 IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP of my reseller hosting account) everytime I create a new account.

Likewise, if I'm not mistaken, any new subdomains (e.g. www.subdomain1.domain.com) and email accounts (e.g. user@subdomain1.domain.com) would automatically work without needing to add anything on domain.com's zone file since I'm pointing the A record on another server (their records would be hosted on a separate zone file, specifically in subdomain1.domain.com's), right?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

You can point subdomains for a domain we're configured as Primary DNS at the various reseller IP addresses (and MX records, or whatnot) as you would for any domain and it would behave as you're expecting.

Or, you can delegate the subdomain to each host by giving the subdomain NS records in our Primary DNS config. Our DNS service supports this kind of subdelegation; it's also exactly how the city.state.us subdomains work, for example. If you delegate the subdomain to the hoster, then as far as they are concerned, they're hosting the domain and the control panel can do whatever it does. Example if you were serving "example.com" our of our Primary DNS:

Code: Select all

sub1.example.com  	86400  	NS  	ns1.hostingco.example.net
sub1.example.com  	86400  	NS  	ns2.hostingco.example.net
Then in the control panel for hostingco, you'd say you're hosting domain "sub1.example.com". Then, when DNS queries come in for sub1.example.com when example.com is using our Primary DNS, our servers will say "go to these NS records next". Repeat this for any subdomain and change the NS records for the particular hoster it's going go be hosted at.

If you have any questions setting this up, let us know and we'd be happy to take a look at the DNS.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
redr

Post by redr »

The second approach seems to be best for my purpose. Thanks for the help! I'll just send an e-mail once I have finished setting up so you can verify if I have set it up properly. Cheers!