IP Addresses

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

jxself

IP Addresses

Post by jxself »

I noticed that mail was bouncing.

As I examine the situation, this is becuase I programmed my server to only accept mail from the IP addresses listed on the Resource Access page (https://acc.rollernet.us/resources.php) which lists 208.11.75.2 and 216.90.171.2.

It seems that I'm now getting connections from 208.11.75.218 and my server is rejecting them.

This IP address is not listed on the Resource Access page. What else should I program into my server to accept?

I am going to enter the one from here: http://forums.rollernet.us/viewtopic.php?t=389 but this new IP address doesn't seem to be related to that announcement.

Shame on rollernet.us for not announcing all of their changes.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

We haven't changed anything. Why the public "shame on us" for nothing?

Mail that comes originates from us does not come from mail/mail2; those are customer access servers only and you should never filter rollernet.us mail based on the customer facing servers. Things like forwards and internal mail (such as anything from the account manager) uses the public mail pool. It's been like this since we started. All of this is in our SPF record as well, and always has been.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
jxself

Post by jxself »

Although you state there is no change, I have been succesfully filtering mail from everything but the listed servers for and receiving mail for more than a year (unless I've been lucky all this time, or perhaps I've been missing mail all this time without realizing it?)

There is no information to indicate that the servers listed on the Resource Access page aren't also the ones that are responsible to delivering messages to their ultimate destination. It would be helpful to have the information documented somewhere (Resource Access, Help, FAQ, somewhere) and a notice made should it change.

I must filter out mail that is not coming from rollernet because spammers have found a way around it (rather than connecting to rollernet, they connect directly to my server to inject their messages.) I use SMTP redirection, so the only connections that should be coming to my server are from rollernet anyway.

Based on my research into your SPF records, should I expect connections to only come from the following? Any additional that I have not discovered? Any that are not needed?

67.118.43.88/29
216.90.171.32/29
208.11.75.216/29
208.11.75.5/32

Once again, it would be helpful to have the IP ranges & information documented somewhere (Resource Access, Help, FAQ, somewhere) without having to interrogate SPF records, and a notice made should it change.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

Furthermore, if you are having a problem with mail bouncing, you should provide us with the domain that's having the problem and some log entries so we can investigate the problem. If you are using SMTP Redirection properly, the only servers you will ever need to allow access from are the shared mail exchangers as listed on the resource access page, which is just two IP addresses.

The cache pool will not try to connect to you directly, nor will with the SMTP AUTH server unless you told them to. By design, they obey whatever the MX records are set to, and we don't short-circuit our own filtering. Have you recently made a DNS change or changed your MX records?
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC