Limits on messages/day and size

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

dataiv

Limits on messages/day and size

Post by dataiv »

This is the first time I've noticed the new limits on # of messages/day, and total data transfer per day. I can't find this as being announced anywhere, but glad I caught it now, because I just cancelled a couple mailing lists that I was subscribed to (I was going over 250 messages/day most days).

The current limits are:

250 messages/day
25.0 MB/day

My question is, wouldn't it make more sense for the limiting factor to be data transfer (MB)? Likely 250 messages will never come close to reaching 25 MB, in fact, when I reached 250 messages in a day, the data transfer was closer to 4 or 5 MB only.

What happens if the data transfer limit is reached? Do messages bounce?

Will paying for an upgraded account remove these limits?

Thanks
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

We will be removing the unlimited free-for-all soon - the limits were added so I could get an idea of what kind of usage patterns are going on and to test the rate limiter. It shouldn't have been showing that to everyone until I made an announcement; I've fixed that and it's back to unlimited until we announce a full range of pricing and usage plans.

The free accounts will remain, but we can no longer afford to leave them as completely unlimited. There's also a borderline serious problem with people filing false abuse reports; thus far, they have all been users on the free accounts. In all fairness to those who are have a free accounts for personal use and actually know what they're doing with them, we're not going to get rid of them, but we do need to limit the possibility for fallout. Basically, they set up SMTP Redirection or Secondary MX, and start citing us as an open relay or spam source. Usage limits are the most balanced solution I can think of right now. And, I don't see $30/year as completely unreasonable.

There's many accounts that exceed the data transfer limit - some within minutes of the statistics reset at midnight - with a very low message count. I suspect they're just using it to get around whatever to transfer a lot of files. The accounts that exceed the message count limit (somes by the tens of thousands) are typically ones that don't have a valid user list configured.

Messages will not bounce when usage limits are exceeded; a non-fatal defer message is returned. The actual message is: "resource limit temporarily exceeded - try again later". The limits are reset every 24 hours. The $30/year account will not be fully unlimited, but it will have a much high usage limit than 250/day, at least 1000/day. We don't consider the size of the message or number or recipients - 10 messages means 10 messages.

We will be making an announcement when all of this happens. Right now we're just working out the details. We are always open to comments and suggestions.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC