Glue Records

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

waterborne

Glue Records

Post by waterborne »

I just signed up for Rollernet yesterday and thus far I am quite pleased with the service.
I did have one question about glue records. I am seeing a warning from dnsreport.com indicating this is potential trouble spot (see below).

"WARNING. The parent servers (I checked with m.gtld-servers.net.) are not providing glue for all your nameservers. This means that they are supplying the NS records (host.example.com), but not supplying the A records (192.0.2.53), which can cause slightly slower connections, and may cause incompatibilities with some non-RFC-compliant programs. This is perfectly acceptable behavior per the RFCs. This will usually occur if your DNS servers are not in the same TLD as your domain (for example, a DNS server of "ns1.example.org" for the domain "example.com"). In this case, you can speed up the connections slightly by having NS records that are in the same TLD as your domain."

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsrepor ... ne-env.com

I believe I understand why I'm seeing the warning, but I'm not sure what I can do to fix it. I'm assuming that something on the Rollernet side needs to happen. I guess what's more important is does this even really matter?
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

It doesn't really matter; there's nothing that can be done to fix it because the TLD (.com vs .org vs .net vs .us) differs. If you had a .us domain using our DNS service, it should show the glue records. The same thing would happen if you had a hosting provider that had nameservers in .com and you had a .net domain name.

We'll probably set something up officially under another TLD in the future, but just to diversify TLD's in the event an entire TLD fails. However, I suspect if that ever happens, there will be bigger things to worry about.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
waterborne

Post by waterborne »

That's pretty much what I expected. So much for my quest for a perfect dns report. Thanks for the response!