Secondary MX

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

matrey

Secondary MX

Post by matrey »

Hi

I want to set up a secondary MX for my domain, and rollernet appears to be a good choice :D.
But I still have a few questions :
- Does it works too with outgoing (I mean mails sent throught the SMTP server of my domain) mails ?
- How to configure it in order it to be secure ?
- What is the "added-value" of a paying account, about secondary MX ?

Thanks for your answers
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

- Does it works too with outgoing (I mean mails sent throught the SMTP server of my domain) mails ?
Our mail services are currently one way: we accept mail from the world and pass it on to your mail server. We are working on an SMTP submission service that will allow you to send mail using our servers; it is still in the testing phase. It is mostly useful for people who want to run their own server, but their ISP blocks SMTP traffic.
- How to configure it in order it to be secure ?
If you mean TLS encryption, we don't offer that option yet, but it's on the list of things to be added. In Secondary MX mode, our servers will use DNS information (the MX records) to determine how to deliver messages to you. Basically, choose a DNS provider that you can trust, or run your own primary DNS.

I have seen instances where primary DNS was badly broken or hijacked and mail ended up being bounced or misdelivered; this is entirely beyond our control. If this is a concern, we recommend using SMTP Redirection (which will work just fine on port 25 as well) and statically configure your mail server's IP address. In this mode, our servers will attempt a direct delivery to whatever information you specify in the account manager. Many people use this as a front end to shield their Exchange servers, as well.
- What is the "added-value" of a paying account, about secondary MX ?
Basic features are free, and they are intended for personal use. Most of the extra features are additional filtering options, unlimited use of the recipient maps (local user table) options, and mail forwarding. The forthcoming SMTP submission service will not be free.

Right now, we are not enforcing any quotas or message limits, but we may do so in the future if abuse is too much of a problem. We've only had a couple cases where someone tried to use the free account to do mail for an ISP, which is not what the free accounts are intended for.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC