I'm confused, which port for sending emails 25 or 110?

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

usalabs

I'm confused, which port for sending emails 25 or 110?

Post by usalabs »

I changed my email server to port 2050 and set up the account on Rollernet to use the same port, I can receive emails, but when I sent one via the web interface, it's not going anywhere, I thought email servers send on port 25 and receive on port 110, if sending on port 110, why does some ISP's block port 25?, if port 110 is for receiving, that means that by changing the SMTP port 25 to 2050, and setting up the SMTP redirection in Rollernet, to port 2050, that would mean, if I sent an email using the web interface, the server would send it on port 2050, then it gets to Rollernet server, and returns it back on port 2050 to my server, actling as a feedback loop.

What I need is a service that would redirect the sending port of the server, on a different port, then that service would catch the mail then redirect it to the proper port used for sending.

My ISP blocks incoming/outgoing port 25.

If SMTP redirection works they way I think it does, then an email sent from my server on port 2050 would get to the Rollernet server on port 2050, then redirected to port 25 for outgoing to the recipient, if that's not the case, then how do I set up my email server to send emails, when my ISP blocks port 25?
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

Port 110 is the POP3 port used by mail clients; SMTP servers always talk to each other using port 25.

Our redirection service is currently one way - the world sends to us on port 25, and we redirect to an alternate port to your mail server. We are working on a SMTP submission service which will allow the reverse to work as well. SMTP submission is typically done on port 587.

Since SMTP submission has been a rather popular request lately, I'm going to move it up in the deployment schedule. We currently have it running, but we're missing the following features before it can be released to everyone:

* Logging to the account manager
* Anti-virus scanning before accepting messages
* Abuse prevention (rate limiting, etc.)
* Account manager interface

SMTP submission will not be a free service; it's simply not possible due to the potential for spam and abuse. We will be posting an announcement when it's ready.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
usalabs

Post by usalabs »

I'm still confused, the settings for my email server shows "outgoing SMTP port 25", and "incoming POP3 port 110", so, how. (by changing the SMTP (outgoing) port 25 to match the settings in Rollernet), can my server recieve on port ??? if it's used for outgoing?, isn't POP3 port 110 used for incoming on my server?, if so, then I don't need to redirect incoming, I only need to redirct SMTP outgoing on a different port on my server.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

That sounds like the mail server is getting its incoming mail from a regular mail account (POP3 mailbox) by logging in to an account and downloading the messages. If so, this isn't the kind of system our SMTP redirection service is designed to work with. The SMTP redirection service (as well as Secondary MX) expect your server to listen for SMTP connections (default port 25, unless changed due to ISP blocking) for our server to send messages to directly.

Some common SMTP mail servers include: Postfix, Sendmail, Microsoft Exchange, qmail, and Exim. What mail server are you using?
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC