Different QTY on incoming compared to outgoing

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

Black20VT

Different QTY on incoming compared to outgoing

Post by Black20VT »

Hi,

I've been using your service for nearly a week now and I'm really happy with it, but I've a question.

On checking the logs, I've 15 incoming mail and 14 outgoing. How can this be the case?
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

There's two possibilities:

1) The "incoming" log is recorded as a hook in the filtering core; sometimes it will log more than one entry for a single message, depending on filter settings. The real mail log is not considered.

2) The "outgoing" log is a FIFO scanner on the real mail log as seen by syslog. It's possible for syslog to drop an entry, or lower the count if grouping took place.

Say someone sent you a single message with your email address as "To" and "CC", most mail servers will combine that as a single delivery rather than two. However, the "Incoming" log would see that as two because one of the filters checks on a per-recipient basis. The system does not have a way of figuring these out because all of the filtering takes place before the queue during the SMTP session, so there aren't any queue numbers to use as correlation.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

Hi Glendale2x,

No problem. I suspected it might be something to do with mutliple instances of the same address.

Thanks for replying :wink:

Keep up the great work :)