Recipient Maps

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

darrenings

Recipient Maps

Post by darrenings »

I have seen your intent to make Recipient Maps mandatory in November. I have a problem with this in that I have loads of email addresses which I use on my domains - all my domains work as catch-all domains, and I tend to make up an email address dependant on the website or organisation I'm talking to e.g. disney@my-domain.com or pepsi@my-domain.com.

So, with the new Recipient Maps feature, I won't be able to remember all the addresses I have used, or won't know what future addresses I will need to use. Can you advise how I work around this? What will happen to addresses I have not addded into Recipient Maps after the end of November? Will they silently be dropped, or will they be queued for me to do something about them?

Please advise

Darren
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

We will be addressing "catch all" or "accept all" domains before recipient maps become required. A new mode will be added that will allow all messaged, but watch for any no such user rejections. If too many are detected - probably 50 to 100 per week - it will warn the account holder and stop accepting messages (with a "defer" message, not reject or drop) for that domain until the problem is fixed.

A notice will be posted at http://forums.rollernet.us/viewtopic.php?t=126 when this is supported.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Support for catch-all style domains has been added. The modes for recipient maps are now: "Check Maps", validate against the table; "Allow Any", support for catch-all domains; and "Defer Incoming", stop accepting mail for a domain.

After the required date, "Defer Incoming" will be automatically set if a domain in "Allow Any" mode is rejecting messages with unknown user errors.
Roller Network LLC
rushing

Post by rushing »

After the required date, "Defer Incoming" will be automatically set if a domain in "Allow Any" mode is rejecting messages with unknown user errors.
There had been some discussion early on of a learning mode for paid users. Is that still in the works or not?

Also, while I know it is late in the game, any chance of the ability to list users to reject? I ask because I implement catch-all addresses, but as they get sacrificed to spam, I block them. Thus, for me, I have a catch-all account but I block about 5 addresses. Those 5 do get spam. There is no way for me to add all the different valid catch-all accounts that are valid, because I do not have a complete list of them.

I am a paid user and am more than willing to pay more--assuming it is reasonable--to allow for a learning feature--and honestly, for my account, the load on your end would be less if it simply learned which addresses are invalid instead of which are valid. I can see that being different from many accounts.[/quote]
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Also, while I know it is late in the game, any chance of the ability to list users to reject? I ask because I implement catch-all addresses, but as they get sacrificed to spam, I block them. Thus, for me, I have a catch-all account but I block about 5 addresses. Those 5 do get spam. There is no way for me to add all the different valid catch-all accounts that are valid, because I do not have a complete list of them.
The ability to set addresses to reject is already there, it's just hidden in the account manager. I'll put it on my to-do list to enable it.

An auto-learning version is still on the design table; I'll add dual mode (learn rejections only for cases like yours or learn accept/reject for everything else) to the feature set.
Roller Network LLC
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

The account manager has been changed to reflect "default accept" or "default deny" mode. If the recipient maps are in "default accept" mode, you can now add "deny" entries to the table to explicitly reject an address while allowing anything else.

I'll have to update the filter core to check for this, but you can configure the account manager now and it will start working once the back end is updated.
Roller Network LLC
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

The changes you have suggested have been added; please try them out and let us know if it's still missing something you were looking for. Thanks!
Roller Network LLC
rushing

Post by rushing »

The changes you have suggested have been added; please try them out and let us know if it's still missing something you were looking for. Thanks!
I've already set up two domains using default Accept but with specific reject entries listed.

I've also set up one other with default Reject and added over 240 e-mail addresses using the WEB API. That worked great!

Cool job all around!