Disappearing Mail Today

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

dataiv

Disappearing Mail Today

Post by dataiv »

Hi,

I've noticed that no mail has arrived since 9:37 AM Pacific time today to my mail server for the domain 'vangeyn.net'. It's a redirector domain in my account here at Rollernet under username 'dataiv'.

According to the mail logs I can see under the administration site, mail is being delivered to Rollernet, but since 9:37 AM no mail has been sent out ("Outgoing Logs") from Rollernet to my server. There are no error messages and my server is contactable on port 903 as configured.

My other redirector MX is working just fine and delivering mail.

So, where has most of today's mail gone? Can someone please check into this and hopefully deliver the "lost" messages?

Thanks!

EDIT: The same thing is happening with 'noc.peon.net'. I have no idea where this mail is going. The same domain works fine with the other MX redirector.

I have configured both domains to use the other MX redirector as the better priority MX now, but I have a bunch of messages according to the Incoming Logs for vangeyn.net and I hope they aren't lost. They never showed up in the Outgoing logs at all.
maxfloden

Post by maxfloden »

I have the same problem for all my redirected domains. Just sent an email to support. Hopfully the emails aren't lost, that would be a catastrophe...
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

No message have been lost... the outbound queue was overloaded some 10 million messages. Someone was using their free account to serve an ISP. Although outbound processing was suffering, all inbound mail was processed ans saved to disk without any delays.

More details will be here, when available:

http://forums.rollernet.us/viewtopic.php?p=467
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
maxfloden

Post by maxfloden »

Good news, thanks!
dataiv

Post by dataiv »

Thanks, glad to hear it.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

We also let them know that using a free account to operate an ISP is somethng we discourage.
Roller Network LLC
thinker

Post by thinker »

glendale2x wrote:We also let them know that using a free account to operate an ISP is somethng we discourage.
hi,

I'm very sorry if this was caused by our systems.

upgrading the account was not so fast because of transaction mechanism.
after that upgrade i was able to filter out the bad source and free the queue (about 1,3 million messages)

anyway I think the 'recipient maps' policy + api will mitigate such issues.

do you think we can use the api system to set up recipient maps before nov 30?

let me know

thanks in advance
--
antonio
thanks in advance
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

If you didn't get a direct message about it, then it wasn't your fault. It's usually never a problem.

The API for recipient maps will be ready soon, the target is this weekend, Saturday or Sunday.
Roller Network LLC
maxfloden

Post by maxfloden »

Is there a new delivery problem?

I haven't recieved much mail all day. When I check the logs at rollernet, for some domains last delivery was more than 12 hours ago (10-17-2005 19:36:00) even though the incoming logs show that email is being delivered. Emails for other domains that have been delivered the last 12-24 hours have dlays of over 25.000 seconds.

At first I thought that it might be my recipient tables that caused this but I have disabled those.

When I check the system status page it says everything is ok.
maxfloden

Post by maxfloden »

I just saw this in another thread, I guess it answers my question:
glendale2x wrote:As we speak, I'm trying to fight off yet another flood of undeliverable messages on mail.rollernet.us. It's only about 500,000, but it's enough to cause delivery delays that are being noticed. It's hard for me to keep explaining to people why the service is slow, saying it will be fixed, then having it happen all over again a few days later.
Suggestion: When heavy delays or such is happening it would be a good idea to post that info on the system status page (or a specific system status thread in this forum).
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

They should, but I usually get so caught up in fixing the problem that I forget. Someday I'm going to write a little interface to update the status page online instead of having to edit the file directly. If it's a major issue (like the one on September 30) then itdoes make its way into the announcements section.
Roller Network LLC