Recent outage of all mail

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

comaid

Recent outage of all mail

Post by comaid »

Our main domain recently (end of October / Early November 2020) suddenly decided to be unable to send any mail via any means. Even webmail fails!
The Domain registrar is CrazyDomains (soon to be moving it away), the Hosting (hence Zone Record Management) is at InMotion Hosting, the mail is Hosted at RollerNet. I use vanity NS records.
RollerNet has hosted the mail for about a year, without hiccups. There have been NO changes, that we are aware of, to the Zone Records or much else for some months.
All of a sudden, everything just stopped!
We've checked everything (obviously, apart from the real cause!!!) and find nothing that would prevent mail from working.
Ideas so far: NSA doesn't like us, so they've intercepted our mail! The domain has been blocked by someone for a reason I don't know! So, as you can see, I'm fresh out of ideas!!

Message when we send mail from WebMail:
An error occurred!
SMTP Error (450): Failed to add recipient "support@rollernet.us" (4.7.1 <webmail.rollernet.us[2607:fe70:0:14::a]>: Client host rejected: No resolvable MX records for <<MyDomain>>).

Extract from https://dnsviz.net:
"Description: Response errors for <<MyDomain>>/NS
Errors: No response was received from the server over UDP (tried 12 times) (167.250.5.35), UDP_-_NOEDNS_)
And, same for A record:
"Description: Response errors for <<MyDomain>>/A
Errors: No response was received from the server over UDP (tried 12 times) (167.250.5.35), UDP_-_NOEDNS_)

I don't even know why that IP address (167.250.5.35) pops up, does RollerNet/OpenSRS us this as their next level up?

I'll stop here, so the details don't get overly complicated and you all get bored reading it!! If you require more info, just ask.
Not sure whether putting domain names and suchlike is wise in the public domain, hence I've substituted for <<MyDomain>>
comaid

Re: Recent outage of all mail

Post by comaid »

NB: It "seems" that incoming mail works just fine - so far! So, only outgoing mail does NOT work.
Ari
Site Admin

Post by Ari »

Please send in a ticket to support@rollernet.us with your RollerNet username. Thanks!
Ari Knowles, Roller Network LLC
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

It seems that your DNS is messed up, as you may have guessed. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to fix that since we aren't hosting your DNS. Have you contacted your hosting service and registrar and informed them of the issue?

If you're having problems with your current DNS host you could try changing over to use our Primary DNS service, which is included with your existing account. (https://acc.rollernet.us/dns/primary.php) To do this you'll need to change your name servers at the registrar to ns1-auth.rollernet.us and ns2-auth.rollernet.us after creating a new Primary DNS zone in the account control center.

We use OpenSRS to register our own domain names, but we operate all of our own servers in house so whatever that IP address is isn't part of anything we're doing.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
comaid

Post by comaid »

Thanks for the combined efforts of RollerNet guys, can't email you back!! So, using this method here.
I shall proceed with the suggestions you've noted above, as the current Host (InMotion Hosting) says there's nothing amiss, as does the Registrar (CrazyDomains).
comaid

Post by comaid »

Apologies for not updating this post.
OK, this is gonna sound bizarre, but it is somewhere near the truth.
Somehow CrazyDomains messed up and caused my ns records to be wrong, hence the incorrect IP addresses in lookups.
After hassling them MANY times, it SUDDENLY came right, after they performed several re-syncs (over many weeks) on the records.

Essentially, Seth hit the nail on the head by pointing to primary domain service being wrong, he also offered a solution, which we are now seriously considering for our domains. It took some time to sort as CrazyDomains continually denied it being their fault and blamed everyone else, especially RollerNet (which is abundantly clear that it had NOTHING to do with their systems), and as we are at the mercy or errant Registrars :shock: with their faulty DNS services, finding true knowledge is limited to a select few.

Praise goes to Seth for spotting what the issues were, even given our vague description of the fault. :D