6to4 source address causing Secondary DNS to ignore notify

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

robnich

6to4 source address causing Secondary DNS to ignore notify

Post by robnich »

My server came by default with a 6to4 tunnel set up. Today I noticed this issue, but it's probably been around for a while, I assume since rollernet added ipv6 support?

My server notified the secondary DNS servers of a zone change, and got the ipv6 address for ns1.rollernet.us. It then connected using the 6to4 tunnel, which gave it a 2002: ipv6 address. Rollernet's server then ignored the notify because the 2002: address isn't a master.

It would seem to make sense for the secondary servers to see the 2002: address as equivalent to the corresponding ipv4 address, since this is only a mapping of the address.

I've solved the problem by disabling the 6to4 tunnel, and I'm working to get my HE 6tunnel addresses working. I used a hostname as the master server for my zones. If my master connects using ipv6 and the reverse DNS matches the hostname, will the secondary server still accept the notify?
Seth
Site Admin

Re: 6to4 source address causing Secondary DNS to ignore noti

Post by Seth »

The hostname is not used beyond doing an A record lookup before generating the config for BIND; it's impossible to define a master server by hostname. On the BIND side it's IP only, so your config was built with an IPv4 address only. A 6to4 address will work fine as long as it's listed.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC