Custom from address

New ideas and constructive comments go here.

Moderator: Moderators

bburg

Custom from address

Post by bburg »

It seems that I can't sent mail from a custom from address (another identity) in Roundcube and/or Squirrelmail.
Message not sent. Server replied:
Transaction failed
554 5.7.1 <webmail.rollernet.us[2607:fe70:0:14::a]>: Client host rejected: sender domain name must match SMTP login name on this account type
Is this because of security reasons? Well known email providers like Gmail, Fastmail, Tuffmail, etc. seems to have no trouble with this feature. Is this perhaps something for Rollernet to add?
Seth
Site Admin

Re: Custom from address

Post by Seth »

It is a security measure to prevent end-user accounts from using arbitrary senders as you would see in a spam/virus situation. We do allow the "From" header to be set arbitrarily; only the SMTP "MAIL FROM" must match the authorized login name. This is a limitation in the webmail clients: they are not capable of using a different login name for submission connections than the one they logged in with. We don't give webmail a free pass on the SMTP AUTH process, it logs in like any external client would.

Very few of our customers actually use webmail so this has never come up before. Perhaps some kind of "allow these aliases" option under the outbound account advanced settings.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
bburg

Post by bburg »

Seth wrote:Very few of our customers actually use webmail so this has never come up before. Perhaps some kind of "allow these aliases" option under the outbound account advanced settings.
Thank you. I hope you will consider it. I'm a web(mail)-only user. In generally webmail is very popular nowadays. Especially the features of Roundcube (latest v0.4.2) becomes more and more very close to similar desktop clients.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Also, keep in mind that you can do this right now as long as it's the same domain name by using a catch-all account. Webmail is popular, but not with us. That's kind of why we exist: most want to tout their web interface, but we put mail client and server support first with a strong bias towards RFC compliance.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

I forgot to ask; were you looking to just do different senders under the same domain name (i.e. *@example.com) or arbitrary domains not part of your rollernet account?
bburg

Post by bburg »

Seth wrote:I forgot to ask; were you looking to just do different senders under the same domain name (i.e. *@example.com) or arbitrary domains not part of your rollernet account?
The latter. With my "any address account" I already can sent with different senders under the same domain name. My purpose is to collect and consolidate my other e-mail accounts in one primary account. I could have chosen for Google but for obvious reasons I prefer to keep control of my mail to myself. Your service gives me that flexibility on all levels. 8)
bburg

Post by bburg »

bburg wrote:
Seth wrote:Very few of our customers actually use webmail so this has never come up before. Perhaps some kind of "allow these aliases" option under the outbound account advanced settings.
Thank you. I hope you will consider it. I'm a web(mail)-only user. In generally webmail is very popular nowadays. Especially the features of Roundcube (latest v0.4.2) becomes more and more very close to similar desktop clients.
Seth, Is my request still a serious option that will be added in the (near) future? In your (quoted) post you don't definitively reject it. Otherwise I'll have to make up my mind. :(
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

I apologize for the delay. The change is not trivial to make while still retaining our security policy. I expect to have an option available shortly, possibly this week depending on my workload.
bburg

Post by bburg »

Seth wrote:I apologize for the delay. The change is not trivial to make while still retaining our security policy. I expect to have an option available shortly, possibly this week depending on my workload.
Thank you. Perhaps in the form of a sort of whitelist.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

It will be a whitelist type option with a validation/verification component.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

I've been too busy with facility related stuff lately to pick this back up, so for now what I can do is temporarily hardcode an exception. If you can submit a ticket to support@rollernet.us with your account name I'll go ahead and let it through until a proper system can be developed to managed it online.
bburg

Post by bburg »

Thank you. Ticket is on it's way.
bobpullen

Post by bobpullen »

Is this still an option Seth?

Today I find myself in the same boat. I have multiple domain names forwarding to a single mailbox and I'd like to use your SMTP servers and Webmail to send from any of these domains in addition to my corporate domain that isn't associated with my Rollernet account.

Could an exception be made for my account too I wonder?

Regards,

Bob.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Sometime between 2011 and now an advanced option to allow identities on a single user account was added (See docs: https://acc.rollernet.us/help/mail/outb ... p#advanced). Beyond that no other progress was made on a validation system for unrelated sender addresses.
bobpullen

Post by bobpullen »

Thanks for the response.

That's a shame.

Perhaps consideration could be given to relaxing the restrictions to include all Rollernet hosted domains associated with a particular account?

It's a tad frustrating that I can alias multiple domains to a single mailbox, yet only send email from one of those domains using the corresponding outbound account.

Regards,

Bob.