Domain/Account wide sieve scripts

New ideas and constructive comments go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Black20VT

Domain/Account wide sieve scripts

Post by Black20VT »

As per my comment in this thread, would be good if domain or account wide sieve scripts could be added.

For example, as a domain admin, if changing SPAM filtering and therefore headers, sieve scripts generally need to be updated to pick up the changes. At the moment, I have to go into each account to update the script. Also, I can only do this as I know their passwords, if they changed them, I'd be stuck and SPAM could end up in their Inbox.

Also on the subject of scripts, sorry, from Roundcube, the existing scripts don't show in the list? However, if you download all scripts, it's there? Is this correct, or just me not understanding?

Thanks.
Seth
Site Admin

Re: Domain/Account wide sieve scripts

Post by Seth »

Black20VT wrote:Also on the subject of scripts, sorry, from Roundcube, the existing scripts don't show in the list? However, if you download all scripts, it's there? Is this correct, or just me not understanding?
The Sieve interfaces in Roundcube and Squirrelmail will only see scripts they want to see because they use a fixed layout to translate between script and graphical interface.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

Quoting from other thread.
Seth wrote:That's not entirely impossible because the "include" extension does have a global provision. We would need to add an option in the ACC to move or make available an existing script to the global store. There's no security though, so if someone managed to guess your global script name then they'd be able to use it too. Although I can't imagine why someone would want to use a Sieve script they don't know what it does.
That would be a nice feature. To be honest, I personally rarely use it, but when I do, I think it'll be really helpful. I'm sure others would find it helpful to.
Seth wrote:The Sieve interfaces in Roundcube and Squirrelmail will only see scripts they want to see because they use a fixed layout to translate between script and graphical interface.
Does that mean it's not possible?
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Black20VT wrote:
Seth wrote:The Sieve interfaces in Roundcube and Squirrelmail will only see scripts they want to see because they use a fixed layout to translate between script and graphical interface.
Not likely, unless the authors of the respective plugins make it so. As far as I am aware they will only see "supported" scripts that were created with it.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

Seth wrote:
Black20VT wrote:
Not likely, unless the authors of the respective plugins make it so. As far as I am aware they will only see "supported" scripts that were created with it.
I've just been looking at the interfaces on both Roundcube and SquirrelMail and I should've used them, as it's easier to use the GUI than manually writing them, unless you know what you're doing of course :lol:

I've just been playing with both RC (RoundCube) and SM(SquirrelMail) and they're quite different in the way they store them and compatibility with each other.

Scripts created in SM are viewable in RC, but as soon as you save them in RC, SM can no longer see them.

Within RC, you can also create multiple scripts that allow you to create different active scripts, which could be useful I guess, but nothing then shows in SM. Also with RC, it offers to import scripts, which it appears to do, but then when you view it, it's empty.

The ACC interface obviously shows them all :D So, for me, I'll stick with the ACC interface.

So it really is a case or choosing your preferred 'place' to create your scripts and sticking with it, as they're not cross compatible and work differently, as I found by overwriting my main script whilst playing :(

I guess the one issue I now have is this - I've created scripts within ACC to move items flagged as SPAM. However, if a user decides to create their own scripts within the web interface, the script within ACC is either overwritten, or made inactive. The problem then is the SPAM scripts are no longer active and the user wonders why SPAM is no longer being filtered :oops:

Is there anyway around this other than recreating the scripts in one of the webmail cients? If so, which one do you go for?

Apologies if I've opened a can or worms, or interpreted this incorrectly, but this is just my findings and subsequent questions.

Thanks.