Verifying MX Records

New ideas and constructive comments go here.

Moderator: Moderators

jxself

Verifying MX Records

Post by jxself »

I just noticed this:

"The account manager will attempt to verify that proper MX records exist before allowing a domain to be added. MX records for our servers must be present before attempting to add the domain. If they are not, the incorrect DNS lookup may be cached, preventing you from adding the domain until these lookups expire."

I'd like for this requirement to be removed, as it presents a problem: The MX changes must be made live before the servers accepting mail for them is properly configured.

As it is now configured, I must make the DNS changes visible to the world (and have them propagated so that the Rollernet servers can see them) before I can add a domain.

This means that other servers on the Internet will also be attempting to deliver mail to Rollernet before I've had the opportunity to fully configure Rollernet with this domain (for example: 1. Make the MX changes, 2. wait for them to propagate, 3. and then configure Rollernet.) Depending on when the local caches of various DNS servers around the Internet expire, the domain in question would likely ending up bouncing mail for a while when the domain is pointed to the Rollernet servers but those servers aren't yet configured to accept mail for the domain.)

This requirement should be removed, or at least made optional, or the check should be delayed for some period of time... perhaps 24 hours or something or whatever.

To ensure a smooth transition, it needs to be possible to fully configure Rollernet before making the DNS changes live. Anything else will result in downtime and bounced email.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

I'll go ahead and pull it for now. The notices are still in the account manager, but the check function in the code is disabled.

I'm going to work on a fix for this issue, but I can't go into details yet because someone would probably read this and try it before a fix is in place.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC