acc.rollernet.us AAAA record?

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

candrews

acc.rollernet.us AAAA record?

Post by candrews »

acc.rollernet.us currently lacks an AAAA record. I verified this by using the "dig acc.rollernet.us AAAA" command.

I'm interested in using the Dynamics DNS API to update by AAAA records automatically. However, without the AAAA record for acc.rollernet.us, that's not so easy.

At https://acc.rollernet.us/help/dns/primary.php#ddns it sounds like acc.rollernet.us should be IPv6 enabled... is there a timeline for when the addition of such a record may be possible so super easy IPv6 AAAA record updating is doable?

Thanks!
Seth
Site Admin

Re: acc.rollernet.us AAAA record?

Post by Seth »

It was originally omitted because of concerns for dynamic clients that were dual stack intending to update the A record, but AAAA would be preferred and A would never be updated unless a second call was made. We'll revisit this issue since people are now becoming more aware of IPv6.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

I thought there was a support ticket about this, but maybe I was mistaken. Anyway, sorry for the delay, but I had to look back at my old notes why it wasn't originally deployed since everything else on our network is indeed dual stack except the subnet acc.rollernet.us is sitting on.

The issue is more of a PCI compliance thing rather than technical (because the account control center is used for online payments) and we need to address the PCI "compensating controls" first. Of course PCI has not kept up with the times and doesn't mention IPv6, but we should be fine with documenting it.
candrews

Post by candrews »

I've looked over the PCI standards, and I didn't see anything indicating that IPv6 is restricted or prohibited.

In any case, will acc.rollernet.us be getting IPv6 support at some point?
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

PCI loves NAT, but that's not really thing in the IPv6 world.

The account control center will eventually get IPv6 support. It's literally the only thing that doesn't have an IPv6 address.