umm... eh? my DNS is whacko...

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cobi

Post by Cobi »

i have also been looking around... and think i have gotten it somewhat fixed... i made it increment the soa s/n every time it processes the file... and i turned on norm udp requests... (before, it just served up axfr's on tcp:53)
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

I'm probably not going to be staying with BIND forever; since all of the zone data comes out of databases and it has to rebuild really big BIND files when the database changes, I'm looking at other DNS servers that may have better integration with a backend database. Either way, BIND will be fixed or something else (that hopefully doesn't have the same bugs) will take its place.

I prefer real time systems rather than "wait 15 minutes" or "wait an hour" stuff. The goal is to get the DNS changes commited to second you change it in the account manager.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
Cobi

Post by Cobi »

what about use both?
reget the data when ya get a notify, and every 15 minutes (or an hour) reget it :P
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Both options will definitely be available in the future.
Roller Network LLC
Cobi

Post by Cobi »

hmm... now ns1 has the correct info, but it seems that ns2 never got the new zone :\

EDIT: NS2 now has the correct info too ;)
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Cool... I'll concentrate on a server based fix in the hopes that it won't happen again in the future.
Roller Network LLC
Cobi

Post by Cobi »

i believe the prob was this: when ns1/ns2.rollernet.us saw the notify, they made a winbots.org SOA request to the master.... who didnt serve that domain on udp (it is stealthed, it only served up TCP AXFR requests), so it got an error... the reason bind checked in with the SOA record, i believe, was to see if the s/n had been incremented since its last get.... and was assuming if it hadnt been incremented, then that meant that it had the latest copy and didnt need to do an axfr...