Secondary to Accept and Hold to Hosted to Secondary

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

sandrews

Secondary to Accept and Hold to Hosted to Secondary

Post by sandrews »

Hi all.
Having to do some maintenance which is taking longer than expected and need to allow some people to check mail.

I've done the required reading and setup for Hosted (I'd already changed to Accept and Hold and have just looking in the queue).

One thing that's not clear is if I change from Accept and Hold, to Hosted, then back to Secondary or Accept and Hold will any mail left still be delivered back to the primary (my main) hosted? i.e. assuming no mails are deleted, are the in the queue or does changing to hosted move them from the queue to MBOX? And what if they don't check at all and I change back to Secondary or Accept and Hold?

My guess is not, as to check would imply it has to come out of the queue into a mailbox, even if only using IMAP to view (or not deleting via POP3).

Cheers!
Seth
Site Admin

Re: Secondary to Accept and Hold to Hosted to Secondary

Post by Seth »

sandrews wrote:Hi all.
Having to do some maintenance which is taking longer than expected and need to allow some people to check mail.

I've done the required reading and setup for Hosted (I'd already changed to Accept and Hold and have just looking in the queue).

One thing that's not clear is if I change from Accept and Hold, to Hosted, then back to Secondary or Accept and Hold will any mail left still be delivered back to the primary (my main) hosted? i.e. assuming no mails are deleted, are the in the queue or does changing to hosted move them from the queue to MBOX? And what if they don't check at all and I change back to Secondary or Accept and Hold?
Delivery in hosted mail mode is the same as any other SMTP destination: it will be removed from the queue and delivered, whether that delivery is to your server (via Secondary MX or SMTP Redirection) or to our hosted mail box cluster. The servers where queued mail is held is separate from the mail box cluster accessible via IMAP/POP3.

Changing to hosted mode will move messages from the queue into a mail box, but it doesn't happen instantly. The delivery routing is checked when a queued message is processed by normal retry timing or by manually executing a "Deliver Now" on the queue status page.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
sandrews

Post by sandrews »

Thanks.
What about the reverse?
Changing back to Secondary/Accept and Hold, I assume users would still need to then clear their hosted mail boxes as it wont be moved back into the queue for delivery.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

The hosted mail box cluster is just like any other SMTP destination: once it's delivered there it's removed from the queue. You could use mail mirroring to deliver new messages to a hosted mail box and the queue (Accept and Hold) for later delivery to your server.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
sandrews

Post by sandrews »

Awesome! Mail Mirror did exactly what I needed (well except for the messages already in the queue!).

Thanks Seth.