lost mails due to change of Dovecot / announce next time?

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

sebiklamar

lost mails due to change of Dovecot / announce next time?

Post by sebiklamar »

Hi Rollernet team,

some of my mails got lost after 2010-09-06 -- I suppose because of a change of the Dovecot installation/configuration. I found the reason to be an address extension in my forwarding map (mailalias@example.com -> user+somefolder@example.com). I could solve the problem by changing the destination address to user@example.com because the file-into-folder is done by Sieve anyway (it never worked with address extension like it's possible with Cyrus; I just had this config in rollernet because of migration from Cyrus and it worked until 2010-09-06 with rollernet/Dovecot).

While my problem is solved I'm just asking you for the background of this problem: Did you change something in the Dovecot installation or configuration? If yes, is there any chance to "announce" changes like this in the future?

Keep up the good service! I like it.

SEBi
sebiklamar

Re: lost mails due to change of Dovecot / announce next time

Post by sebiklamar »

What I also wonder is why there was no bounce message. The mails just got lost in a black hole.
Seth
Site Admin

Re: lost mails due to change of Dovecot / announce next time

Post by Seth »

File into folder by address extension is something we have on our development track (it will be an option to enable per-mailbox), but we haven't added it yet. The last major change we made to our Dovecot installation was enabling Sieve support back in August 2008. When we do release this feature there will be an announcement.

In order to find out what happened to your messages, I'd need more detail to track them in the various logs. You can email the specifics to support@rollernet.us rather than posting them in the forums and I can take a look.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC