Push Email Support for Cell Phones

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

Black20VT

Re: Push Email Support for Cell Phones

Post by Black20VT »

Seth wrote:It's been upgraded to 2.0 final.
Great news, thanks Seth!
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

My user has tried using the latest version of push email on his iPhone 4S running the latest iOS and has a couple of questions;

1. When sending emails, can the 'From' be amended to show just the name rather than the full email address when received by the recipient?

2. Unless it's a setting on his phone, he still can't see HTML messages, just plan text.

Any ideas?
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Black20VT wrote:My user has tried using the latest version of push email on his iPhone 4S running the latest iOS and has a couple of questions;

1. When sending emails, can the 'From' be amended to show just the name rather than the full email address when received by the recipient?

2. Unless it's a setting on his phone, he still can't see HTML messages, just plan text.

Any ideas?
Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone or access to one, so I can't really troubleshoot it. At some point in the future I plan to get an iPad which is hopefully close to enough to how an iPhone would behave.
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

Seth wrote:Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone or access to one, so I can't really troubleshoot it. At some point in the future I plan to get an iPad which is hopefully close to enough to how an iPhone would behave.
OK, thanks Seth. In the meantime, he's going to revert back to IMAP pull (due to lack of IDLE on iPhone) for the time being.

Unless anyone else here has any pointers on config for the iPhone?
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Z-push has been updated to version 2.0.3.

As far as HTML mail goes, the z-push simply does not support HTML. One of the touted features for 2.0 was HTML support, but after a closer look, not when used with IMAP. Z-push is imply acting as an intermediary between our IMAP server and activesync clients, so we're using the IMAP backend.
user00265

Post by user00265 »

Seth,

I've seen that Z-Push 2.0.6 now supports HTML messages for the IMAP backend: Z-Push News for 12/06/2012
Thanks to Franscisco aka fmbiete the IMAP backend users now have HTML email support on their devices. He also implemented stars (todo flags) and added some other fixes to the IMAP backend. Big thanks, Fransciso, and keep up the good work.
Elisamuel Resto
Simply Sam, LLC
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Z-push has been updated to version 2.0.7.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Z-push has been updated to version 2.0.9
rjk

Post by rjk »

I was able to add an account on my Blackberry using the Activesync server, but not in Outlook 2013. I noticed that I got a certificate error on both devices when setting it up. Says that the cert is for webmail.rollernet.us and not for activesync.rollernet.us. Would the cert problem be the reason it doesn't work in Outlook?
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

rjk wrote:I was able to add an account on my Blackberry using the Activesync server, but not in Outlook 2013. I noticed that I got a certificate error on both devices when setting it up. Says that the cert is for webmail.rollernet.us and not for activesync.rollernet.us. Would the cert problem be the reason it doesn't work in Outlook?
Possibly. We'll take a look at it.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

rjk wrote:I was able to add an account on my Blackberry using the Activesync server, but not in Outlook 2013. I noticed that I got a certificate error on both devices when setting it up. Says that the cert is for webmail.rollernet.us and not for activesync.rollernet.us. Would the cert problem be the reason it doesn't work in Outlook?
We've created a separate virtual host for activesync.rollernet.us that should address this problem.
rjk

Post by rjk »

Seth wrote:
We've created a separate virtual host for activesync.rollernet.us that should address this problem.
Great thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.
rjk

Post by rjk »

I've given this a shot on my Blackberry, and I'm able to add the account without getting certificate errors now. However, there's a few other odd issues - I seem to be able to get only headers and the subject of the email when it comes in, including old emails that have already been delivered. No body at all. And when I forward a message, the forwarded email arrives with a huge mass of base64 encoded gibberish.
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Well, I don't really have any way to test that since I don't have access to any Blackberry devices.

The best I can do is set up another virtual host running the newer z-push 2.1.x series (this one is currently 2.0.9) and see if that makes a difference.
rjk

Post by rjk »

I don't want to make you go around chasing edge cases - if I'm the only blackberry user it's no problem to keep using IMAP.

I did have a look on the z-push website and they say that BB10 works best with 2.1.0+, so I'm guessing that would solve that one.
As for outlook, apparently EAS only works with the Outlook.com service and not with any other providers, due to some lame M$ restriction. So that's why that wasn't working.