Forwarding does not allow . and / in mail address

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

sebiklamar

Forwarding does not allow . and / in mail address

Post by sebiklamar »

Hello Rollernet folks,

I hope that preparation for the move runs smoothly and you have time for my issue :-)

While migrating my local mail setup to rollernet I'm running into an imcompatibilty issue: Your forwarding feature does not allow inputting . and / in the mail address after the address extension, e.g. <user+root.subfolder@example.com>. The Web interface is refusing these 2 characters. I'm currently using this approach in my local postfix alias table in order to already move a mail with a specific address to a specifc folder (w/o sieve). While I cannot cite the RFC in question, I'm wondering why these letters should not be allowed (besides the second issue that your mailbox domains do not understand the address extension "+" -- but that's another issue I need to post).

Kind regards -- Sebastian
Seth
Site Admin

Post by Seth »

Forwarding entries should allow "." so we'll have to double check that. If it doesn't, it's mistake on our part.

It's not likely we'll open up to adding / because it's quite exotic and will cause problems injecting it into the path when saving the message to the mail box (which assembles the maildir full path out of the local part of the email address during delivery). Rather than open up a hole and have to consider its security risks, it's safer to just not do it.

You're looking for RFC2822 and 822. It does not explicitly disallow the / character, it's just a bad idea. Here's a handy reference for characters in email addresses:

http://www.remote.org/jochen/mail/info/chars.html
Seth Mattinen, Roller Network LLC