webmail - can't send email

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

darrenings

webmail - can't send email

Post by darrenings »

Hi,

Thought I'd try your webmail today for the first time. Tried sending an email to myself and both webmail clients failed. The SquirrelMail one gave a more informative message:

Message not sent. Server replied:

Authentication failed
535 5.7.0 Error: authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6

There doesn't seem to be any further information on the mail service logs.

Can you have a look?

Thanks
Darren
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

Webmail has two quirks:

1) The login name is the same one that will be used for outbound authentication, so make sure there's an outbound mail account of the same name as the webmail login.
2) The hosted mail box password and the outbound account password must match since webmail will use the login information for the outbound auth.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
darrenings

Post by darrenings »

Hi,

Yes, I have an @domain-name.com style mailbox account and a corresponding outbound authentication name both with the same password.

So what else could it be?

Thanks
Darren
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Can you try resetting the passwords for both the outbound and mail box accounts to ensure they match?

https://acc.rollernet.us/mail/box.php
https://acc.rollernet.us/mail/outbound.php
Roller Network LLC
darrenings

Post by darrenings »

Hello,

I have just changed the passwords for box mailbox and outbound mail to make sure they make. I logged into SquirrelMail and tried sending to my work account. Again I get this error:

Message not sent. Server replied:

Transaction failed
554 5.7.1 <>: Sender address rejected: sender domain name must match SMTP login name on this account type

Please note both my outbound mail name and mailbox is @domainname.com and not user@domainname.com. Does this make a difference?

Darren
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

In SquirrelMail, it will try to use the login name as the email address (which obviously won't work in this case). However, this is easy to fix.

Click on the "Options" link at the top of the message window and then "Personal Information". In the "E-mail Address" field, enter any valid email address for the login domain name. Once an email address is set, it should work normally.
Roller Network LLC
darrenings

Post by darrenings »

Thanks. That did the trick!
So for both webmail clients you need to enter a valid email address in the configuration for the clients to work.

Thanks for your help here.

Darren