Whitelisting recipient address

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

Black20VT

Whitelisting recipient address

Post by Black20VT »

Hi,

I'm a little confused, so after a little clarification.

Basically, I'm trying to whitelist one of my recipient addresses forwarded by rollernet, so no SPAM filtering is carried out on it at all at rollernet level.

I initially set the 'Whitelist' to 'Skip all' if the recipient address matches. I then realised after checking the logs, that SpamAssassin still filters.

So, I've now added an 'L3 recipient' filter for the email address and domain. I'm yet to see if this works.

However, is this the correct way to do this?

My worry now, but will check when I receive a message, is the negative score added by the SpamAssassin rule will effect the end receiving mail server score and not correctly mark it as SPAM?

Can someone offer some guidance?

Thanks in advance.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

The two whitelists can be confusing, so it helps to understand what they're both for.

The non-spamassassin whitelist is for pre-content filters. This includes DNSBL, SPF, Greylisting, and anything that takes place before the actual DATA phase. The spamassasin whitelist is for content scoring only. This means it's strictly for adding a negative score to the SA total if a whitelist match is made. Adding the address to both whitelists is the correct way to do it.

The net result of a negative score is that it will not be marked as spam by SpamAssassin. For example, on the Spam-L mailing list actual spam and bad URLs are frequently shared on the list, so it's whitelisted. Here's a real example of the resulting X-Spam-Status header:

Code: Select all

X-Spam-Status: No, score=-92.6 required=4.6 tests=RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW,
	URIBL_BLACK,URIBL_JP_SURBL,URIBL_OB_SURBL,USER_IN_ALL_SPAM_TO,WEIRD_PORT
	autolearn=disabled version=3.2.5
We can see that even though the message contained some bad addresses and triggered the URIBL_BLACK, URIBL_JP_SURBL, and URIBL_OB_SURBL tests, the USER_IN_ALL_SPAM_TO test (the whitelist entry) adds -100 to the score, resulting in a total score of -92.6.

Does that answer your question?
Last edited by RollerNetSupport on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
Black20VT

Re: Whitelisting recipient address

Post by Black20VT »

Black20VT wrote:So, I've now added an 'L3 recipient' filter for the email address and domain. I'm yet to see if this works.
Well, I've just received a message through and the whitelist negative score added at Rollernet level doesn't appear to have been passed through to the end mail server judging by the headers.

However, still interested if I've got about the process in the right way and if there's a quicker or easier way to exclude all filtering from message, both pre-content and content.

Thanks.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

We provide the "X-Spam-Status" and "X-Spam-Level" headers whenever SpamAssassin is enabled, but whether or not these are parsed further down the line is up to them.

X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.2.5 (2008-06-10) on mail.rollernet.us
X-Spam-Level: 
Roller Network LLC
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

It seems we posted our messages at exactly the same time :D Well, the same minute, I can't see the seconds :wink:
RollerNetSupport wrote:Does that answer your question?
Thanks for the explanation, was very clear. I understood how they worked, it just didn't click in my mind that the 'Skip all' didn't include SpamAssassin filtering, which had I have read it properly, I would've clearly seen 8)

Which I guess leads me onto a 'Suggestion'. Would be nice to have a 'switch' to enable/disable all SPAM filtering, being both pre-content and content level. One button kills all and at a per domain and per individual email account level :lol:

Should I post this in the suggestions forum?

Thanks again.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Black20VT wrote:
Black20VT wrote:So, I've now added an 'L3 recipient' filter for the email address and domain. I'm yet to see if this works.
Well, I've just received a message through and the whitelist negative score added at Rollernet level doesn't appear to have been passed through to the end mail server judging by the headers.

However, still interested if I've got about the process in the right way and if there's a quicker or easier way to exclude all filtering from message, both pre-content and content.

Thanks.
You got it right: the recipient needs to be added to both whitelists. The quicker way would be for us to come up with a clean way to combine the two whitelists without confusing everyone. ;)
Roller Network LLC
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

RollerNetSupport wrote:We provide the "X-Spam-Status" and "X-Spam-Level" headers whenever SpamAssassin is enabled, but whether or not these are parsed further down the line is up to them.

X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.2.5 (2008-06-10) on mail.rollernet.us
X-Spam-Level: 
Here's the header from when the message was passed through the Rollernet system;

X-Remote-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.2.5 (2008-06-10) on mail2.rollernet.us
X-Remote-Spam-Level: 
X-Remote-Spam-Status: No, score=-97.5 required=5.0 tests=HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_08,
	HTML_MESSAGE,RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100,RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E4_51_100,RAZOR2_CHECK,
	USER_IN_ALL_SPAM_TO autolearn=disabled version=3.2.5
Appears everything is kept intact.

And the scoring when received at the final destination;

X-Spam-score: 0.7
X-Spam-hits: BAYES_00 -2.599, DCC_CHECK 2.5, HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_08 0.001,
  HTML_MESSAGE 0.001, SARE_FROM_SPAM_MONEY2 0.89, SPF_PASS -0.001
The message wasn't SPAM in this case, but just an example of the headers.

Thanks.
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

You type too fast :lol:
RollerNetSupport wrote:The quicker way would be for us to come up with a clean way to combine the two whitelists without confusing everyone. ;)
Sounds like a nice feature :o

Thanks for your help on this. Just wanted to confirm that I ended up setting things up correctly and that there wasn't a different way to do it.

This thread may also be useful for other users, especially ones that don't read things properly like me in the first place 8)

Thanks again.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Synchronizing the two whitelists is certainly something we intend to fix, but it's sufficiently complex (and not currently broken) that it's still a bit out on the to do list.

As far as at the domain level, we have that here:
https://acc.rollernet.us/mail/filter
Roller Network LLC
Black20VT

Post by Black20VT »

RollerNetSupport wrote:Synchronizing the two whitelists is certainly something we intend to fix, but it's sufficiently complex (and not currently broken) that it's still a bit out on the to do list.
No problem, more of a 'nice to have'. It works, so I'm happy.
RollerNetSupport wrote:As far as at the domain level, we have that here:
https://acc.rollernet.us/mail/filter
Of course, I knew that, was just testing :lol:

It was one of those pages I've not visited for months, so tend to forget they're even there. It's like set and forget...

Thanks again!