slight inconsistency with logging

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

dstutz

slight inconsistency with logging

Post by dstutz »

I was just perusing the last couple days of incoming mail logs for one of my domains and noticed that 4 entries per accepted mail show up for me. An "Accepted recipient (RCPT TO)", an SPF pass (probably not there in all cases), the processed xxx bytes of DATA, and the SpamAssassin score. I just noticed that the last 2 messages I just listed show just he bare domain in the To: field instead of the full email address.
I'm not really complaining because it is by no means a problem because all 4 are typically right next to each other and I can match the Instance #s as well, just bringing it to your attention. For a specific example you can look at Instance: 4656.46f1e5e1.501e6.0 (Those are MSG IDs?)

Thanks,
Dave
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

This is a direct result of how SMTP and our real time filtering works: there is no way to send individual responses at the DATA stage during the SMTP conversation. We can make the Instance ID links clickable so it's easier to get another report with just that message, but once we hit the DATA stage, we stop looking at individual users and just go by the destination domain name since we can't do anything with recipient information anymore.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
dstutz

Post by dstutz »

Thanks for the good explanation.

Dave