Selective Forwarding problem - multiple destinations

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

tvierling

Selective Forwarding problem - multiple destinations

Post by tvierling »

This is probably more of a uniqueness violation or documentation issue than a feature request. It's possible to create multiple selective forwarding entries for a given address. However, only the "first" one in the list is actually used, regardless of how many are enabled.

While I'd *like* to have forwarding capable of expanding to multiple addresses (think "mini-list" for shared admin duties, for instance)... if that's not easy to implement, then an on-screen warning about how multiple entries are handled might help.

I did notice, however, that entering a forwarding destination with a comma resulted in the entry not being added (which finally clued me in to multiple destinations not working), but there wasn't an on-screen notice about why it was discarded. ;)
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

Well, it wasn't intentionally designed to allow distribution lists, but it actually looks like it will work that way if I just change an if statement to a while loop in the code that fetches the maps from the database. I'll have to test it first, of course. ;)
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

It worked, so I'm deploying the changes now. Thanks for pointing this out!
Roller Network LLC
tvierling

Post by tvierling »

glendale2x wrote:It worked, so I'm deploying the changes now. Thanks for pointing this out!
Woo, that rocks! You're one step closer to the flexibility of the Google Apps control panel, although WAY ahead of them in terms of spam filtering... :)
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

I just noticed there's a mix up between forwarding and the valid user tests... The problem is that it should skip the valid user table settings if a forward map is found, but it's not. I'll work on it. I'll try to roll forward-to-hosted accounts functionality into the same update.
Roller Network LLC
tvierling

Post by tvierling »

glendale2x wrote:I just noticed there's a mix up between forwarding and the valid user tests... The problem is that it should skip the valid user table settings if a forward map is found, but it's not. I'll work on it. I'll try to roll forward-to-hosted accounts functionality into the same update.
Ah, I've actually been creating valid user entries for forward addresses to work around that (not knowing that it was a bug). It sounds like exactly the same issue I mentioned in: http://forums.rollernet.us/viewtopic.php?t=402

Thanks as always, your work is greatly appreciated. :)
lavajoe

Post by lavajoe »

glendale2x wrote:I just noticed there's a mix up between forwarding and the valid user tests... The problem is that it should skip the valid user table settings if a forward map is found, but it's not. I'll work on it. I'll try to roll forward-to-hosted accounts functionality into the same update.
I just started using the mail services, and I ran into the same issue. I wanted (potentially) multiple "aliases" for each given hosted mailbox like:

joe@foo.com (mailbox)
joseph@foo.com -> joe@foo.com
lavejoe@foo.com -> joe@foo.com

I tried creating a hosted domain and one mailbox in that domain - that worked, of course. But when I tried creating selective forwarding (using maps and regular delivery), it only worked if I also created a mailbox for each of the aliases (which never actually gets the mail, since the forwarding redirects it anyway). So this is a workaround, but it's ashame to have to have an actual mailbox for each one, which I'm sure wastes some resources on the server.

Is there something I missed (i.e. am I making it harder than it has to be?).

Thanks!
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

We're working on fixing this issue today.
Roller Network LLC
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

We believe the problem is now be fixed. When a domain is in hosted mode, the valid user table will be automatically assembled from the list of mail box accounts, email address destination forwarding maps, and mail box destination forwarding maps. The account control center interface will be updated soon to reflect these behind-the-scenes actions.

If this does not adequately address your question, please let us know. Thanks!
Roller Network LLC
lavajoe

Post by lavajoe »

glendale2x wrote:We believe the problem is now be fixed. When a domain is in hosted mode, the valid user table will be automatically assembled from the list of mail box accounts, email address destination forwarding maps, and mail box destination forwarding maps. The account control center interface will be updated soon to reflect these behind-the-scenes actions.

If this does not adequately address your question, please let us know. Thanks!
Works great! Thanks for the *very* quick action on this.

-Joe