Policy change: no more backup NS from Rollernet?

Need help? Ask here.

Moderator: Moderators

laszlo

Policy change: no more backup NS from Rollernet?

Post by laszlo »

I just read the announcement and I hope I don't understand it correctly :( I use rollernet as a backup DNS service for my domain (vdhoek.nl.eu.org), and as such I have ns1.rollernet.us in my NS records. It sits there alongside my main server (adsl160-16.dsl.uva.nl) and a nameserver from another free on-line service (ns0.xname.org).

The way I read the announcement, is that this is no longer allowed, since I'm not allowed to have any other servers than ns1/2.rollernet.us in the list. This way, it's not possible to have another service such as xname on the list. Is this the way I should read the announcement, or is it still allowed to use Rollernet as a backup NS only?

Thanks in advance for answering my question! I hope you'll still allow this, since I've enjoyed the patronage of rollernet since I started using it ~3 months ago.
RollerNetSupport
Site Admin

Post by RollerNetSupport »

You can still use any nameservers you want. What's not allowed is something like this:

myownserver.com IN NS ns1.myownserver.com
ns1.myownserver.com IN A 67.118.43.90

Then putting ns1.myownserver.com in the registry, then telling all your friends you run a nameserver and using it as well. That's the best I can make out of what caused the problems that lead to a UDP flood the other day.

You can still:
* Use any nameserver you want, including rollernet with others
* Add glue records with our IP addresses

The goal is that if you're using rollernet, you should be using "ns1.rollernet.us" or "ns2.rollernet.us", not something else made up to point to our IP addresses. I don't yet have the capacity to withstand several megabits of UDP traffic because people unknowingly use our servers without setting up an account.

I hope this clears things up.
Technical Support support@rollernet.us
Roller Network LLC
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

OK, very clear now! Thanks for the quick response.
Ofloo

Post by Ofloo »

<snip>